Friday, October 10, 2008

Carlsbad for the 2nd time

Today was another really long day. I got up early so I could get the house tidy. The last few days, we have hurried around so much, it just needed a little help. I was also wanting to get all the laundry done in case Ake got a new home. I got the laundry done, but he didn't get a home.

Dean called early and said they had large plants for 5.00 at home depot. I went to look and Billie bought me some for my birthday. They really brighten up the house.

Then we headed over to the Wise house for lunch and to leave with Aunt Winfred for a quick trip to Carlsbad. Well, the time we were there was quick, the ride was rather long. Aunt Win had lived in Carlsbad for 50 years. She was there before a lot of the nice road was built. It was fun to hear the stories of things they did back then. For a lady who is almost 93, she sure has it all together.

She had not been able to get the lady with whom she was planning to stay. We drove her there, and when the lady finally came to the door, she said it was fine if she stayed. It was rather odd.

We were getting hungry, and since there is nothing between Carlsbad and El Paso, we decided we should find something there. We checked the IPhone to find a place to eat. I decided on a place called Happy's Diner. It had good reviews, and I like something a little out of the ordinary. This was certainly not your typical eatery.

It was in an old Stuckey's - ya know, with the slanted roof? Instead of a gift shop selling pecan rolls and other assorted overpriced snack foods, they had added a lot of extra booths and some display cabinets for a major collection of Beanie Babies and McDonald's Happy Meal toys. There was no aiconditioning either. I figured it had been out for a while, since all the locals came in to get their orders to go.

I ordered a grilled ham and cheese and it was yummy. JoyAnna loved the steak fingers, Dean and Nana were not realenthused about the catfish. Just not like home at all.

We made it home around 9. Dean is so frustrated with so many things at work. I really feel bad for him. Maybe next week will be better for him.

No comments: