Sunday, June 15, 2008

Swamp Coolers

In case you don't know, a swamp cooler is a version of an air conditioner. Now, I am not sure why they call them that. I doubt there is anything similar to a swamp for a few hundred miles, and the one here at this house does little to cool, thus my confusion over the name.

A swamp cooler sits on top of the house and water runs into it and on to something called pads. I understand from my landlord, that my house has the pads that are made of cardboard. Supposedly, these are a vast improvement over the ones made from straw that older units have.

Most you know know Dean is a little hard of hearing. Well, we might as well just not try to talk at all anymore. The swamp cooler is not a real quiet operation. Throw in 2 stand fans and a shop fan in order to move the air, and I am certain a 747 would be quieter.

Last night we decided to stay in the house for the first time. I am not sure how JoyAnna got cold, since our room was a downright toasty.

The repairman is supposed to come by on Monday to check it out. The landlord said that any unit would have a hard time when it is 105.

Dean went up on the roof tonight and looked at it. He has so much experience with swamp coolers. Anyway, he did discover the panel was off of the unit. He put it back and it has really cooled down this evening. Maybe that took care of the problem. If not, Joy Anna and I may spend our days at Barnes and Noble.

No comments: