Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Matthew 6:19

"Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal."

This had to become my theme of the day. I have so much stuff and very little could really be called a treasure. But there were a few things . . .

We were doing great unloading the truck. I had been up since 5 and I was tired. Dean was hurrying to get the last few boxes off the truck so he could get to work at a decent time.

I was in the house and he had a stack of boxes on the dolly. A wheel hit the ramp and the boxes bounced and tumbled. I heard glass shatter. I rushed to the door to see a pile of boxes. A broken lid revealed which box it was. Only one thing in there really mattered to me. It was a beautiful crystal bowl I had been given on my wedding day by a cousin. It was one of my favorite things. It had been carted to all th different places we lived and held a place of honor in each one.

I sat on the floor and moved away the debris. I looked up at JoyAnna when I saw the familar shape wrapped in the bubble wap and paper. I told her that was the only thing that mattered in the box. She picked it up and it fell apart- so did I.

I cried and cried and cried. Dean was very apologetic. I knew it was not his fault. I knew it was just something that happened. I had wrapped it well. It was cushioned in several sheets of bubble wrap and then wrapped in heavy paper. It just didn't survive the fall from the height.

I had to keep reminding myself that it was just a thing. Not a person or even a pet. I have the memories of the bowl. I even have a photo of me opening the bowl on my wedding day.

No comments: