Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Sunday Evening "Blowing Dust"

understatement of a lifetime.

About 100 miles out of El Paso, folks started calling to check on us. "We are doing great." "Making good time." and several more positive statements came from the 3 weary travelers.

And . . . then . . . it hit.

Not all of a sudden or anything, but man, when it hit- it hit.

The state of Texas allows you to drive 80 mph out in the far west between El Paso and the ends of th earth. That, however, is not possible when you ar dealing with 60mph cross winds. It was blowing my car, so I was thankful I was not in the truck. We slowed to a crawl delaying our arrival in El Paso.

Had I not been so tired and ready to crawl into bed, I would have stopped and taken photos of the majesty that was the scenery. I marveled at the creation all around me. The ski was an everchanging plethera of colors and textures. Beautiful.

The wind really caused the gas gauge to drop. We pulled into a gas station on the far, far east of EP. We fought our way into the building to use the bathroom. I asked the man behind the counter if it was always this windy. He laughed . . and laughed. Finally, he said, "no, it has not blown like this in a couple of months." Wow, makes me look forward to spring. Not.

Dean was leaning against the truck when I came out- I think he was trying to no be blown away. He grinned really big. I screamed at him (just so I could be heard over the wind) "I love you." He laughed and yelled back, "welcome to El Paso."

No comments: