Monday, June 16, 2008

Driving in Spanish

I know I can't really drive in Spanish, but sometimes today I felt like I was in a whole other world. Consider this: I learned to drive in Waskom (home of what 30 roads?) I have lived 25 years in Tyler/ Longview. I have driven some in Shreveport and Dallas.

El Paso is 10 times larger in population than Longview. I can't even imagine how much larger in area. In case you don't know, El Paso is built around a mountain. There is on road that takes you on a very winding path from one side to the other on the southern end. That is called Scenic Drive and is aptly named. Joy Anna can not do that drive without dramamine. We have had to find alternate routes.

One of those routes is the interstate. I-10. This morning, someone pulled in front of us on the interstate and stopped. Thankfully, Eric has really good breaks, and the person behind me was able to swerve to the right. Our house is so east to get to from I-10 if you are going West on the interstate. JoyAnna and I found out today that you can not exit on Resler from the West, nor can you get on the interstate at Resler heading West. Very good information to know.

This afternoon JoyAnna and I decided to head into New Mexico in search of the perfect birthday gifts for 3 friends. There is a wonderful old town there that has shops and good places to eat. After shopping, we decided to come back via I-10 since that would be quicker than the scenic routes. Wrong.

We have not idea what held up traffic, but we sat for over 40 minutes. Thankfully, there were several 18 wheelers between us and the sun. When we finally got to a turn around we did just that dspite it saying it was for emergncy use only. At that point, as far as one could see in the distance there were cars parked on the interstate. When we turned around, we passed 3 miles of parked cars.

Driving today has been quite an experience.

1 comment:

Becky said...

Yeh, I can keep up with you on the blog!!!