Tuesday, August 5, 2008

West Texas Whirlwind

Not a literal one, but today has felt like that. I posted about the house renting, but since it is part of it, I'll touch on it again in a minute.

I was planning to sleep in a little this morning. at 8:15 the doorbell rang. It was the maintanence guy from the rental company. I had asked for them to have him call before he came by. I was in my robe and the kitchen was not company ready. I had planned to make it such when I got up. It is very difficult to work in there right now. There is that clicking sound. I think I already posted about that. Sorry. Anyway, he came and stayed for a while - after I told him I needed 5 minutes to get dressed. Amazing how company ready you can get the house in 5 fast minutes :)

Then there was the phone call about renting the house. That got settled and then we had to decide about the stuff left in Longview. Dean needed some stuff from Dallas for the office. Since Longview is not much further, he decided to combine the two. We started trying to get a plan and a plane. We wanted to be as wise as possible with the money and the time. We looked at him flying to Dallas, renting a uhaul there . . .flying to Longview . . .flying to shreveport, and so on.

We finally found a flight from EP to DFW and then on to Longview for about 300. That seemed to be the best option. By the time we tried to book it, it wouldn't let us. We had already packed him, so we picked him up at the office and hightailed it to the airport. We arrived at 3:05 - 1 hour before the flight was to leave. We hurried in to the ONLY counter where you can buy a ticket on American. There was a lady with 3 boys- unaccompanied minors. You also handle that at that window. She was not happy her boys were gong to have to have a lay over and plane change at DFW. She got on the phone and called everyone she knew about the situation. The lady at the desk was getting irritated. Finally, she decided to go ahead and send them. Then it took longer for the paperwork and for her to pay for it, then to check their bags. We were all getting impatient. The clock hands were working their way around, and we were so afraid it would be too late to purchase a ticket.

Finally, she got the last bag checked and sent them on their way. Dean asked about the flight. There was only one seat left form DFW to Longview. Thankfully, that was all he needed. It was only 16.00 higher than online so he grabbed it. Because it was so late and he paid the higher fare, he was upgraded to first class. Pretty nice bonus, I guess.

In about 9 hours from the time I woke up, I have had a very full and exciting day. I hope this evening is much quieter for us.

No comments: