Friday, August 22, 2008

I can't think of a catchy title today. I am really tired. Today we went on a hike with the exchange students. It was really hot. We picked a steep path. I was really having a hard time breathing as we came back up the hill.

I will go back a couple of days.

Wednesday was Ake's first day here. We drove to school and met the teachers. We also went to eat Mexican food. That was not a big success. He was not fond of the enchiladas. We will try something else another day. We tried riding the bus in the afternoon. He is supposed to use public transportation to get to and from school. After 40 minutes on a bus, I decided I would drive him next time. We were pretty hot and worn out from the ride. Ake was really tired and took a nap- a nap that last til late that night. When he got up, we tried several things and he finally decided on a pb&j- it was not a big hit. He has been really good about trying whatever we have.

The next day, I took him to school and picked him up. We met Dean at a salad bar place. That went over pretty well. They had pizza and he likes pizza. I made American chicken and rice- not a hit.

We did go grocery shopping yesterday. The chip aisle was WAY overwhelming.

Today, we went hiking and did a picnic. Again, not so good. I was afraid I was starving him. This afternoon, he suggested cooking dinner for the family. Wonderful! I mean that was a great idea and the food was wonderful, too. We went to the store and found the things he needed. He had brought some sauce packages, but needed some things to go with them. We had Thai dinner. It was really, really good. It was really, really spicy. Very yummy. Tomorrow we will so fried rice and pork. He doesn't beef. This Texas girl may be in withdrawal before 4 weeks are up.

He is so very sweet and polite. I am afraid he has spoiled us for any other students. He is so willing to help with anything. He offered to wash dishes. I told him about the dishwasher. He said in Thailand he is the dishwasher. Tonight Dean and I worked in the yard. He gave it a shot, but like our other kids, he is not really into yard work.

He brought me a beautiful scarf - red and black- my favorite combo. He also brought me a wonderful bag with elephants on it. He brought Dean a beautiful shirt with an elephant on it.

Today we watched someone roast chilis. We watched them pour concrete at Dean's job site.

I am about to head to bed. I am really missing my kiddos at school. Nicole called last night to tell me how much she is reading. Made my day, but now I am really homesick. JoyAnna is going to get to see them next week. I am sooo jealous. I am glad for her, but boy I am going to miss those hugs.

No comments: