Thursday, July 10, 2008

this time 21 years ago . . .

I was pretty miserable. I had been in labor for over 13 hours and it didn't look like the end was anywhere in sight. Thankfully, it only lasted another 6 hours.

There he was a bouncing baby boy- 8 lbs 4 oz and about 20 inches long. A boy- not the girl I had figured it would be. That meant I had to come up with a name. I surely couldn't name him Alyson Jade as we had planned.

We were not in the hospital very long at all - not long enough to find a name. I mean it had taken us nearly 9 months to decide on a girl's name. We got lots of advice on naming him. My cousin Steve said he was going to be an athlete, judging by his hands a basketball player, so name him something that couldn't be shortened. He's a coach, he knows these things :)

We finally decided on 2 names- William Eric or Eric Dean. We had to take him home with out a name- only a number 8609. After we got home, we called everyone we knew and had them vote on the names. The winner was Eric Dean.

Now how do you shorten that? Well since Dean had told his brothers we were going to call Allyson Jade "AJ" the shorted Eric Dean to ED. Yeah, Ed. Later on he bacame Big E to some people. So, as hard as we tried it still got changed up.

Anyway, my boy will be 21 years old about 1:10 am.

He is so far away. I called today to give him my new number and to just chit chat with him. He told me all about the things he had gotten in mail drop. Dustin mailed him his tuxedo jersey so he is going to wear it tomorrow for his birthday. Nana B sent him 3 boxes of little debbie cakes and candles and party favors for tomorrow.

I planned a surprise party for him. I messaged one of the girls on the trip and she has helped me. I ordered a cake for him in Valentine Nebraska. JoyAnna and I packed up plates, napkins and party hats in a box along with treat bags for 31 riders. We put in horns, oatmeal cream pies, cookies, blow pops and temporary tattoos. I know it was silly, but I had to do it. The team leader is going to pick up the cake tomorrow. Ashley has promised to take lots of photos of the party for me. She was really sweet about helping me out.

Tomorrow we had planned to go eat at Pelican's - a wonderful steak house- in honor of Eric's birthday. But, since JoyAnna and I are both 'on the beach' we will not be going this week. But, we did think it would be funny.

No comments: