Monday, July 7, 2008

Mattress Firmless

Next installment in the mattress saga . . .


I sent quite an email to customer service. I got an email back saying that if I didn't hear back in 2 days to let them know.

Two days passed, then three . . .four . . .an email came. The idiot who sold us the mattress had written the phone number down wrong- I had included that in my letter, but it took them a few days to figure that out.

Anywho- I called today like I was supposd to.

"Hello, this is Pam, calling you about my mattress."


blah, blah, blah "we want to take care of this as soon as possible, BUT . . . All mattresses are going to have body impressions."

"After less than three weeks?"

"Um, well," dance around the subject "all beds do this."

"Well, I have friends and they have beds. I have asked several of them and they don't have body impressions."

"Well they must have old beds. The old beds were really firm and they don't make body impressions like that."

blah, blah, blah

"The reason you have a hump in the middle of the bed is because no one sleeps there."

I didn't realize a king sized bed was intended for 3 people, but, yeah.

at least 14,000 times he told me that all mattresses have body impressions.

This is where it gets fun. . .

I said "this mattress is just not comfortable."

He said, "yes, it is."

"okay? Well, it is not for me."

"It is kind of like shoes. I might like a pair of shoes, but someone else might think they are uncomfortable. "

"Yeah, but I don't spend over $700 on shoes."

blah, blah, blah

And now it gets even funnier.

I said, 'Ok, all mattresses have body impressions. Let me ask you this. I weigh more than my husband, how come his body impression is deeper than mine?"

"He must sleep heavy."

Needless to say this one shut me up.

"Mrs. Rowell, are you there?"

"Um, yeah. Ok. What are we going to do about my mattress?"

"Well, what do you want to do about it?"

"I would like a mattress that doesn't feel like you are sleeping in a bathtub."

"All mattresses are going to have body indentions. Now, we can upgrade it and you can pay the difference."

"No, I am not paying anymore. Can we just get a mattress without a box spring and maybe get a better mattress."


"You can't get a mattress without a box spring. It is against the law."

"Excuse me?"

"You have to get both."

"But, if you have a platform bed, you don't even need a mattress."

"oh well, you can do it with a platform bed, but you have to sign a release. They come in and inspect us. If they see we sold a mattress without a box spring, they can come inspect your mattress and then they can fine the company and you."

"ok."

Needless to say, this was quite an interesting conversation.

So, he called back later and we could go look at a Sealy and just get the mattress without having to pay anymore. So, we went over there and were shown the 3 mattresses and then left alone to try them out. So, w decided which one we wanted and told him. Then he came over and said, "now, you know you are going to have body impressions with this."


1 comment:

Becky said...

How frustrating!!!
We have body impressions with ours. My parents bought this mattress for us about 4, maybe 5 years ago b/c what we were on was sooo old and worn out! I know they spent nearly $700 so, I thought it was a really good mattress. And, we didn't get box springs and that must be something new!! Anyway, I hate the 'dents' we leave! And the hump in the middle!! And we flip it often b/c of that! But, I didn't notice it in 3 weeks or less!