Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Dogs - gotta love 'em

It is a commonly known fact that Border Collies and Shelties are two of the smartest breeds of dogs. At our house, we have currently have 2 half shelties and 1 (at least) half border collie. That can make for some very interesting entertainment.

The girls, the shelties, sleep in a kennel together. They are litter mates. They don't sleep well when they are not kenneled together. Ranger, the border collie, has his own chair in our room where he sleeps. They sleep well. As long as you don't flush the toilet, the girls will just keep sleeping. If you flush in the middle of the night, it is like an alarm clock- they are up and raring to go. It really is bad if you are sick in the night. They just don't understand it. Most days, they sleep through Dean getting up and getting ready. One I get up (and flush) they are up for the day. After a quick run outside, they come inside for a morning rawhide. Since they were puppies, we have had this schedule. Now that Ranger lives with us, he is included as well.

Ranger eats his much slower. I have to watch to make sure one of the girls does not take Ranger's. He is too nice to take it back. He just looks at me with sad eyes.

We try to play fair. Each dog has their own set of toys. They favorites right now are these stuffed toys. They have a constant battle over them. Not in a bad way, just for fun.

Ranger will grab one of the toys whenever I start to put them outside. He will hang back and let the girls get out - then he tries to 'sneak' by me with the toy. Most of the time, I can catch him. If not, he goes out side and drops it about 10 feet from the patio. He then crouches over it daring me to come get it. All I have to do it step toward him and he is off! Running as quickly as possible to a new spot where he drops it and repeats. We play for a few minutes when this happens. Some times, if I don't really have a long time to play, I will call him back in with the promise of a treat. Dazzle is always ready for a treat. If he doesn't bring it back, Dazzle has been known to grab it from him and bring it in so she can have a treat.

Tonight it was a different plan they plotted. They were all three outside. They kept barking- even Ranger. I went to the door and called them in. Ranger and Dazzle came in. Razzle wouldn't. I kept calling her with the door open. All of a sudden, Ranger with a toy, and Dazzle flew past me. They ran right to Razzle and dropped the tow. I swear they had it planned out.

They really are a lot of fun to watch.

No comments: